SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

8/01/2009

Solo Nicasio Loop

On Saturday I got a late start -- headed out around 2pm, itchin' for a longish road ride. I decided to ride out towards Nicasio, in the off chance I might run into Cyclofiend and Chico Gino during their Marin Century. While I encountered a number of riders enjoying that event, I didn't see those guys. However, I did bump into Carlos and his wife enjoying coffee at a Polk Street cafe, and also Patrick running errands in Sausalito. I've grown un-used to riding solo, so these social encounters were quite nice!

On this ride, I tried out my new-to-me, non-TourGuard 700x32 Panaracer Pasela tires. I found them quite nice, and they do seem to be somewhat more supple than their TG/kevlar-belted counterparts. Although I inflated them to my typical pressure, several times I had to check whether the rear tire was going flat -- it felt that cushy. It's not a night-and-day difference, but they seemed somewhat better. Shimmy seemed further reduced as well, presumably due to the slightly lighter weight of these tires, or perhaps their less-stiff casings -- whatever the reason, I was actually able to ride my bike no-handed for good stretches at a time, something I'm often not able to achieve.

At any rate, I was out from about 2pm-8:30pm. I stopped and chatted with Carlos and his wife for a good 30 minutes, but otherwise I only made two other brief stops -- once at Rancho Nicasio for a half-pint of choco-milk, and another in SP Taylor for a restroom break. I crossed the GGB just as the sun was setting, and made use of my bike's lights on the way back through the city towards home. I covered about 80 miles in around 6 hours, not bad for an afternoon's work....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey man! Sorry we didn't run into you out on the roadways. It would have been great to cover some miles with you. I ended up running Paselas, too. When I was out at the coast, someone was trying to tell me I needed to pump them up. "Yeah. Uh, no. Thanks!"

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home