SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

7/09/2009

Local Framebuilders?

I thought I'd heard of all the framebuilders in the SF Bay Area, but occasionally more pop out of the woodwork. Here's one I just stumbled upon: El Camino -- apparently they focus more on prototyping and limited runs for other bike brands. In retrospect, I think I've seen a frame or two around labeled with their decals. Hmmm.

I think I'm going to create a page on my website listing SF Bay Area builders. Help me get started -- who do you think should be included?

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How do you define local? Bay Area 9 counties?

Ed Litton in Richmond
Bernie Mikkelsen in Alameda
Mauricio Rebolledo in Glen Ellen
Jeremy Sycip in Santa Rosa
Steve Potts in Pt Reyes

12:14 PM  
Blogger jim g said...

Franklyn, good question -- I'm thinking of just opening it up to norcal builders to keep things simple.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous sirchalky said...

Box Dog just pointed out http://cleaverbikes.com/ a few days ago which was news to me. It looks like Michael specializes in cargo bikes and frame repairs.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Don't forget the Santa Cruz crew- Rick Hunter, Rock Lobster, Black Cat. Brent Steelman is in Redwood City. Soulcraft is northbay somewheres (petaluma?). Steve Rex is Sacto area, i believe?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

woops, forgot to actually read the list before i commented. You covered most of those.

10:56 AM  
Blogger jim g said...

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How about Peter Johnson, who built Jobst Brandt's bike. Matthew had a blog post about his frame on the Kogswell Blog a while ago. i think he works out of Redwood City. Whether he is still taking order is not clear.

1:23 PM  
Blogger jim g said...

Franklyn, is Peter Johnson still actively building? I just did a search and only found archived info about his frames (CR list stuff, mainly)...

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home