SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

11/16/2008

RB-1 Shimmy, or Another Data Point

Busy Bee Bakery
Yesterday I had a nice ride on my R(650)B-1. Rode with Greg out to Inverness, stopping at the Busy Bee Bakery for some coffee and a nice cinnamon bun. Of course, once again I totally forgot to photog the pastry for my BikeEats pool. I had a half-full Riv Candy Bar bag strapped to the bars of my bike, and noticed that at speeds of 13-15mph, I'd get a little bit of no-handed shimmy. That wasn't surprising in and of itself; I'd seen that before. Flying down the north side of White's Hill at around 32mph, though, I purposely smacked the side of the head tube with my right hand, and the bike went into a slow, fairly gentle speed wobble, even with both hands on the bars. I've never had this bike do that before. Certainly the loaded front bag is a large factor, and I did have to manually initiate the wobble, unlike my Kogswell which seems to go into self-oscillation automatically.

Just goes to show that any bike can speed-wobble if the conditions are right, I guess! It must be me. Maybe I am the Shimmy Master!?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"Shimmy Master"?!?!?!

Great. Now I have to go back and retag all my photos of you on Flickr...

9:45 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

But can you shimmy like my sister Kate?

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home