SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

10/30/2006

Stuffs

Just some random updates...

1) I FINALLY got the Marzocchi Z2 Bomber fork installed on my
Bontrager Race, replacing a Manitou 3. I've only ridden the bike
around the block, but I can already tell that the Z2 is a superior
fork: better travel, better adjustability, and real damping (YES!!!).
The downside? A 1.5 pound weight gain. Photos shortly.

2) I rode the fixie to work this morning. After riding a geared bike
for the past few weeks, the 42x16 fixed gear felt HUGE. My knee
twinged a couple of times, so I've got to remember to take it easy and
NOT backpedal for braking.

3) I'm in the process of accepting a new job way the heck down in
the south bay (my new employer is a rather large internet company
whose name begins with a letter near the end of the alphabet), so in a
couple of weeks I'll be back doing the bike+Caltrain thing for a few
hours every day. Not really looking forward to that, but otherwise
this is (HOPEFULLY) my Dream Job so the inconvenience should be worth
it. Should. Be. I might splurge and buy myself a dynohub...maybe.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm....will you be working at the Sunnyvale or MC office of said internet behemoth? We have a number of bike commuters at each office & there's good route advice available.

12:37 PM  
Blogger jim g said...

Sunnyvale -- next to Moffet.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Tarik Saleh said...

Yah,

DYnohub and evening beers on caltrain on the way home. Go go go pennisula commuting.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, what he said. Anyhow, there are a few good bike maps online http://www.svbcbikes.org/crank/oct-nov-05/vta-maps.php for exact routes from the station, but you'll want to take Ellis under 101 to Manila to Mathilda to Ycorp. A front blinker is a good idea in addition to whichever other light you're using, as we're plagued with phone talkers pulling out of driveways without looking down here.

You can also bail and take the light rail with your bike from the office to MtnView Caltrain. The company gives us "ecopass" stickers for our badges that make light rail free.

There's an internal ygroup for bike commuter stuff, but I think it's behind the firewall. Danielle (commute coordinator person) can tell you everything once you're here).

10:26 AM  
Blogger jim g said...

thanks for all the info, cap'n squid!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home